This is a MS SQL Server DBA hands-on manager role largely responsible for providing operational database services to the organization. Some of the primary responsibilities of this role would include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents within SLAs, reviewing service related reports (e.g: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with development and engineering to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems. The Manager, Database Administration is responsible for the day-to-day governance and performance management of the DBA’s and system owned by the IT Operations team. This role will develop and implement the strategic direction; managing the personal and database systems by implementing policies and procedure for ensuring the security and integrity of the company’s databases. This position will develop a customer care and service management philosophy that ensures customer satisfaction. The ability to work and coordinate projects between internal departments and manage strategic planning is required.
US citizens and Green Card Holders and those authorized to work in the US are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor H1b candidates at this time
- Responsible for strategic and tactical management for MS SQL and Oracle systems. Manages and coordinates the day-to-day planning, design and maintenance of servers and databases.
- Accountable for developing and driving annual and continuous improvement plans for DBAs.
- Investigates industry trends and implement new technologies to improve the level of service and technology provided to the business.
- Establishes standards and procedures for all Database systems owned by IT Operations.
- Define and ensure daily operational tasks needed for optimal database performance and stability are carried out by the DBAs.
- Seek ways to actively improve the stability, performance, monitoring, security, and backups of Database systems.
- Write and maintain database documentation, requirements and standards, communicating them to development teams and others as appropriate.
- Technology leadership skills to include coaching/mentoring/teaching, critical thinking/judgment, facilitation, leading change, and team development.
- Define Database “Gold Standard” for VCA Inc. platforms and environments.
- Participate in project planning and scoping, change management, and resource capacity planning.
- Work closely with all IT teams and business groups to manage customer satisfaction and direct investigation and remediation of service level breakdowns.
- Assist in the management of IT communication programs that effectively describe and promote the department, products and services delivered.
- Investigate industry trends and new technologies, providing guidance and recommendations to senior management to improve the level of service provided to the business thru cost reduction and process efficiency.
- Recruit, develop, retain and motivate a team operating at a high performance level.
- Enforce personnel policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and coordinate issues as needed through the Human Resources department.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- At least five years of experience supporting MS SQL Server technologies.
- A basic knowledge of Oracle database technologies.
- Experience with data replication and mirroring technologies and Microsoft SQL Server 2012+ experience is a big plus.
- Technologies and skills: MS SQL Server, Visual Studio, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, and TFS.
- Database design and implementation experience – OLTP and OLAP database schema design, stored procedures, XML, FileStream, FileTables, etc.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or above in Computer Science, or related Engineering discipline or years of experience.
- Business domain knowledge and experience in healthcare (nice to have).
- DB administration experience – Managing geographically dispersed databases. Database monitoring. Database setup, configurations, and tuning, Hot/Cold backup and recovery, etc.
- DB administrative tools: including SQL Server Management Studio, SQL Server Profiler, SQL Server Agent, etc.
- Disaster recovery – Active/Active, warm standby, other DR setups.
- Some Experience or exposure to SQL Azure and Cloud Based services.
Further, the ideal candidate will be a true team player with a commitment to success, and will be able to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. Your excellent communication skills, strong analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills will be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROLE IS ONSITE-NO REMOTE OR TELECOMMUTING